Friday, February 13, 2009

JAY DILLA MONTH

Artwork by: Ques


TURN IT UP!
(Listen to Egon of Stones Throw Records on NPR Radio: Briefly discuss his friendship with Jay Dee

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100628822

There have been many tributes this week for Dilla, as he was born on the 7th and passed on the 10th of this month(3 years ago).

Personally, Jay Dilla changed my creative outlook on life. His music has helped me to zone out for hours, making and creating visually. He also, via his many instrumental tapes, CD-Rs, and official albums, made me believe in the musical tracks that I had been making. Upon listening to Donuts on repeat for almost six months to a year (with few exceptions), I finally felt like my 'weird' beats were okay, and my aesthetic of gritty samples, homemade percussion, and overall do-it-myselfness was indeed, okay. Although I knew how inspiring his work had been to me, I was surprised, BUT NOT, to find that he had touched so many others in the same way. Simply put, Jay Dilla's music is almost spiritual. He's talking to us through the samples and the over dub of his voice on each recording.

Either way, make a beat in his memory, draw something ( i did but had trouble posting, maybe later), go get his music, there's lots of it. Celebrate his life, and your own. "The name of the game is Lightworks" (does anyone else hear life works whenever this plays?)

go to StonesThrow.com or Okayplayer.com and you'll find celebrations in NY, LA, Chicago, Detroit, and abroad-where people are celebrating DIlla Month.


No comments:

Post a Comment